Ewww! What’s That Smell?
Keep calm and turn the A/C on! But wait, what if when you do, you smell a musty odor? Well, that’s just unacceptable. Your car, truck, or SUV is one of the places you should be most comfortable, but if there’s mold dancing around in the air and the cold air is struggling to flow freely, you most certainly will not feel at ease. If this unpleasant environment sounds like the inside of your vehicle, you’ll want to have an A/C system inspection done as soon as possible. Pioneer Automotive in Denton, Texas, will correct the problem and have you breathing in fresh air once again.
There’s a Fungus Among Us
Stagnant, moist air living in darkness makes for the growth of some creepy heebie-jeebies. Mold, a multicellular microorganism, will attach itself to the A/C system in your car when the conditions are just right. It particularly likes to grow on the evaporator core due to the presence of humidity. And although it may start as a small amount, mold grows pretty fast.
Once it makes its way out into the open, the foul smell won’t be your only concern. Mold is known to cause drowsiness, respiratory issues, and can aggravate allergies and asthma. This menacing mess doesn’t stop there. You also have to be concerned about damage to the air conditioning system. The harder the unit has to work, the more likely it is to break down and cause strain on other parts of your vehicle. Not to mention, it wastes more gas!
So What Must One Do?
You can try out a variety of antimicrobial products like Lysol, but it will only work temporarily. Another short-lived fix is to turn on the blower for 10-15 minutes, minus the A/C. This will help to dry off the evaporator, but it’s not going to solve the problem. Your best bet is to bring it into Pioneer Automotive in Denton, Texas, for servicing.
Once our ASE certified technicians resolve the problem, you can try and prevent repeat mold issues by keeping the area between the hood and the windshield clear of leaves and debris and continuing to run the blower without A/C once in a while. Also, avoid leaving wet items inside the cabin, and clean up spills right away. Mold is not something to blow off. Remember, your health and the health of your family are at risk.